To be responsible for water use and conservation is to maintain the integrity of your water tank. This ensures the purity and safety of the water it stores and prevents waterborne diseases and health risks. One way to do this is by using a waterproofing membrane, which shelters your tanks against leaks, cracks, and structural damage. But how do you determine if your water tank is in need of a waterproofing membrane?
At Raven Tanks, we are committed to helping our clients maintain the integrity of their water tanks. Our teams are trained in understanding the unique challenges and requirements of waterproofing these structures with years of experience installing tank waterproofing systems, we’ve seen – and know – a thing or two about membranes. When you choose our service, you are benefitting from the best expertise available!
Let us help you get to know about waterproofing membranes.
What is a Waterproofing Membrane?
A waterproofing membrane is a layer of protection applied to a water tank’s exterior. This membrane helps to prevent water from seeping into the tank, which can cause leaks, cracks, and other damage.
Waterproofing membranes are available in a variety of materials, including plastic, rubber, and asphalt. They can be applied in many different ways, depending on the type of surface and the level of waterproofing protection needed.
For concrete tanks, a liquid barrier solution is often the most appropriate. Liquid polyurethane coatings provide an enhanced level of waterproofing protection against cracks and other vulnerable surface areas. Made of durable plastic, these coatings form a barrier that is impermeable to water.
Why is Waterproofing Important for Water Tanks?
Waterproofing is not a luxury; it’s a necessity when it comes to water tanks. Here’s why:
Water tanks are designed to store and distribute water safely. Without proper waterproofing, the risk of leakage increases significantly, which can result in water loss, property damage, and potential contamination.
Waterproof membranes act as a shield, protecting the tank’s structure from the corrosive effects of moisture and thereby prolonging its useful life.
Repairing a leaking or damaged water tank can be prohibitively expensive. Waterproofing, when done correctly, provides a cost-effective solution that prevents the need for costly repairs or replacements down the road.
Promoting Environmental Responsibility
Waterproofing actively protects the environment by preventing leaks that could harm soil and water sources, aligning with sustainability goals.
Waterproofed tanks actively enhance resilience, ensuring continued water supply during adverse conditions like extreme weather events and seismic activity.
When is a Waterproofing Membrane Necessary?
Several key factors come into play when determining if your water tank requires a waterproofing membrane.
- – Tank Material. Water tanks come in various materials, such as concrete, steel, and fibreglass. Each material presents unique vulnerabilities to leaks and cracks. For example, concrete tanks are more prone to cracks than steel ones, making waterproofing crucial for concrete tanks to prevent seepage through cracks.
- – Location. The tank’s location significantly impacts its susceptibility to leaks and cracks. Tanks placed underground or in areas with substantial rainfall face a higher risk of water seepage. In such scenarios, a waterproofing membrane serves as a crucial defence, preventing potential damage.
- – Age. The age of your water tank plays a vital role. Older tanks, regardless of their material, are more likely to develop leaks and cracks due to wear and tear. Routine maintenance checks are essential, but for older tanks or those showing significant wear, a waterproofing membrane can be a lifesaver.
- – Intended Use. Consider the purpose of your water tank. For instance, tanks used for on-site firefighting require robust waterproofing to prevent water damage.
What Are the Risks of Not Using a Waterproofing Membrane?
Neglecting water tank waterproofing can lead to a range of risks and issues, including:
- – Leakage. Without proper waterproofing, water tanks become highly susceptible to leakage. Even minor cracks or gaps in the tank’s structure can allow water to escape, resulting in water loss, property damage, and potential environmental contamination.
- – Corrosion. The lack of a waterproof membrane to protect the tank’s surface can invite corrosion, which compromises the tank’s structural integrity. This can lead to costly repairs or, in extreme cases, tank failure.
- – Structural Damage. Over time, water infiltration can weaken the tank’s structural integrity, causing cracks, bulges, or other forms of damage that necessitate extensive repairs or tank replacement.
- – Water Contamination. Without proper waterproofing, contaminants from the external environment, such as dirt, debris, and pollutants, can enter the tank and compromise water quality.
- – Increased Maintenance Costs. Neglecting waterproofing can lead to higher expenses in maintenance and repairs, making it a costly oversight.
- – Reduced Lifespan. Water tanks are significant investments, and their lifespan can be substantially shortened without proper waterproofing.
- – Operational Disruption. Water tank issues can disrupt essential services and operations, whether for residential, commercial, or industrial purposes.
These issues can lead to water damage, which can be costly to repair. In some cases, water damage can even render your water tank unusable. As a result, it is always best to err on the side of caution and use a waterproofing membrane if there is any chance that your water tank could benefit from one.
Investing in a waterproofing membrane can help protect your water tank – and your property – from costly water damage.
Protect Your Water Tanks Today!
Don’t wait until costly leaks, corrosion, or water contamination become a reality. Invest in the long-term integrity and safety of your water tank by choosing professional waterproofing services. At Raven Tanks, we specialize in water tank waterproofing and offer customized solutions tailored to your specific needs.
Our team offers mobile services – and we will travel to your location to assess your water tank and provide a quote. Wherever you are in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Dalby, Darwin, and Geelong, we got you protected!
Contact us today at 1800 907 834 or email at [email protected] for a free consultation and quote. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Protect your water tank now and enjoy peace of mind for years to come.